Sisters of St. Francis
The Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia are a community of Catholic women
founded by Mother Frances Bachman through the instrumentality of Pope Pius IX
and St. John Neumann in 1855. As a congregation, the Sisters of St. Francis
choose to live the Gospel in the prophetic spirit of St. Francis of Assisi.
Seeking to participate in the Spirit’s action in the world, they direct their
personal and corporate resources to the promotion of justice, peace and
reconciliation. The Franciscan Community’s beginnings were spent in works of
charity especially to the sick and poor of Philadelphia and in education. St.
Rose of Lima was the first school mission of the order in New Jersey. The
Sisters began their task of bringing the Word of God to the people of Freehold
through the apostolate of Catholic education in 1878